Apr 12 2012
New packages of cigarettes with graphic warning labels – including pictures of tongue cancer wound is covered with white – began appearing in stores yesterday.
Some said, graphics, and shocking, is not enough to keep people from puffing on a cigarette.
• «We all know that smoking does to a person, people will smoke in any case, and show emaciated, suffering people on cigarette packs will not contain any,” said RPMNut.
• “After many unsuccessful attempts, I do not smoke! Announcements, health risks, everything else are thrown at me did not do anything for me; they do not do anything for me now. Smoking is a choice and nicotine addiction is a symptom of excessive,”.
• «As a former smoker for example, I looked past those labels graphics after a while. They did nothing to keep me from smoking. As we all know, smoking is the addiction, and it is important to be mentally ready to leave, which begins with education, rather than scare tactics. “Said YoursIsGreen.
• “You’re not cigarettes, hidden behind a barrier behind the counter retail anyway, thus eliminating some of the effectiveness of these types of advertising?” said Mr. Kennedy.
Others have argued that the advertisement was too graphic.
• “We must put his foot down on one of these days … There comes a time when it’s just bad taste … I think that the Canadian public has already received point is.. Do not underestimate the public,” said deaneries.
However, others said, using these tactics to get people to quit smoking or prevent people from ever picking up the habit, it was important to do.
• “The picture is not only to deter those who currently smoke, they are also to deter people who are not currently smoke – like your 13-year-old daughter, son, niece, nephew, grandchild, etc. The young impressionable youth has always been a target of tobacco companies, ads for them can not believe some of the comments here somebody said do not underestimate the public. It means that we are smart enough to know the difference so far, and the ads are not necessary. I would say, do not underestimate the stupidity of the public, and our impressionable youth. If people were smart enough to know the difference, then no one would smoke, “said Mangold.
• «There is no safe level of smoking and healthy, so it must be declared at the outset to go, said Luconis”
• «I originally thought that these pictures were disgusting (they are) and I check that I was forced to look at these pictures every time I pulled out the smoke. But after thinking about it, I realized that these photos are not for me, already addicted, but for new smokers to understand that they get to be a smoker. Fingers, because I really wish I never started. I hope this campaign will work for others, because I think he would have worked for me when I was 13 years old, “said Andrew in British Columbia.
• Those that are obese are the same burden on our health care system, as smoke, if not more, as they are dying a slow death, “said Kimmer_000.
• “While we are on the subject of warning labels on goods, when is the government going to put labels such as these on alcohol? Nobody wants alcohol (and tobacco), and it causes all kinds of social unrest and the death that is our health, justice and police millions, “said guywpg.
• « Why don’t us see any pictures of morbidly obese and amputee diabetics on McDonalds or any other fast food company’s product? In fact, their ads show fun looking, slim, healthy, active families dining out at McDonalds. This is very misleading, “said Todd Evans.
Thanks, as always, after our coverage. Please feel free to comment or to challenge any of these items and continue the conversation below.